Monday, September 27, 2010

Do Androids Dream blog2

So far I have read up to chapter 17 in the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I'd have to say that the most interesting scene so far would be the scene where Rick is taken by the false police officer to Garland's office.  During this entire scene, the book left me wondering whether Rick was who he said he was, an android with an artificial memory, or just mentally crazy.  For a few pages I was actually convinced that the whole beginning of the book was all part of Rick Deckard's imagination.  Even after the scene was over and I knew that Rick was human, I still questioned whether or not he was indeed human.  This by far is my favorite part of the book so far because it kept my interest the whole way through. I was compelled to read more and more which for me is very rare.  I usually hate books and for the first time in a very long time I actually really enjoyed reading the material that was required for a class. 
After I was done reading, only one thing still confused me.  What or who is Mercer? I understand that he is like their god but what exactly is he? Is he human, is he and android, or does he even exist? Does he have an actual role in the story or is it just some random little detail to make the story sound more futuristic? There are so many aspects to Mercer that I find very confusing.

1 comment:

  1. If I had to guess I would say he is just a computer simulation with someone behind a keyboard fooling everyone. This would give everyone who is following Mercer the best possible experience because the person behind the keyboard would have a better idea of what everyone wants to feel and see.

    ReplyDelete