Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chapter 11 in Allyn and Bacon: Writing as a Problem-Solving Process

There are two thing that caught my attention in chapter 11 of Allyn and Bacon.  The first is when it was talking about expert writers and how they use multiple drafts.  This section is talking about how expert writers still need to make multiple drafts and make many revisions.  The book says that "decades of research on the writing process of experts reveals how extensively experts revise."(p273).  This made me realize how important it is for a non-expert writer, such as myself, to revise, revise, revise.  If people who are considered experts on writing still need to make multiple drafts and revisions then that means I need to work a lot harder at making more revisions of my own work.
The second thing that caught my attention was the section on globally and locally revising.  Revising locally means you make changes that only effect a small portion of your writing like a sentence or two whereas globally revising means making changes that will cause you to make changes to other parts in your writing. I had never heard these terms before.  After reading this I realized that when I make revisions to my papers, I need to know if the revisions made are local or global.  By doing this I will know if my changes effect the rest of my paper and if so, I will have to change what needs to be changed. Knowing the difference between these to types of revisions will help me make sure I don't have parts of my writing that contradicts other parts or say completely different things.

4 comments:

  1. I wrote about the globally and locally too, so I agreed with you on your blog. You actually cited your quote, kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think you don't know what your talking about and should prob just quit at english

    ReplyDelete